Supporting Maui’s Hawaiian Immersion Schools
Over the years, Kimokeo Foundation has supported Hawaiian immersion education and outreach programs, has provided educational supplies and has formed partnerships with several Maui Hawaiian immersion schools. With your generous donation, it will help us move forward toward our goal of raising a new generation of Native Hawaiian speakers.
Ke Kula ‘o Pi‘ilani
Since 2019, Kimokeo Foundation has gifted an average of $20,000 annually to Ke Kula ‘o Piʻilani. We are pleased that our partnership has enabled the school to:
- Hire a Hawaiian cultural practitioner to take students outdoors to learn how Hawaiian plants are connected to the Hawaiian culture
- Install new fencing and a gate to keep keiki safe and secure
- Make improvements to their interior learning space
- Purchase iPad tablet computers for distance learning during the pandemic
- Purchase school supplies and educational materials annually to minimize costs for parents
- Offset their monthly lease fees so that they can focus their funds on educational programs
- Raise funds to purchase a property for their school to have a permanent home. Unfortunately, the property was sold but we continue to support the school in many ways.
Immersion in the Community
In honor of the 30th anniversary of Wailuku’s Hawaiian immersion preschool, Pūnana Leo O Maui, the Kimokeo Foundation was proud to present a $30,000 check to the school’s non-profit, Nā Leo Pūlama O Maui. The intent of the gift is to provide funds to support their new school that will be built in the future.
Kimokeo Foundation also awarded a small grant to Nā Leo Kalele to support the cost for a Hawaiian language teacher to teach the West Maui community the Hawaiian language. Recently, we have helped Hawaiian immersion classes fundraise during our outreach events as they presented cultural activities, such as lei making, to the South Maui community.
Hawaiian Immersion Education News
Building A Hawaiian Language Curriculum Classroom By Classroom
Hawaiian Language Makes A Comeback In Hana’s Schools — And Homes
Ke Kula ʻo Piʻilani – a new and independent Hawaiian immersion school on Maui
Project KULEANA: Nā Keiki O Ka Pūnana Leo O Maui
Punana Leo Maui Backstory – Project Kuleana
Dept. of Education’s Hawaiian Immersion Program
Ka Leo `Ōiwi – An online video series where you can learn basic Hawaiian Language